The Art of Quiet

Photo Credit: ukgardenphotos

"...in quietness and trust is your strength..." Isaiah 30:15 

There's life packed in this verse...in quietness and trust we are strengthened, empowered and secured. Wow, that's powerful. What would happen if we focus in on quietness and the art of quiet?

The best way I've found to begin my day, is by sitting and being quiet. I usually spend around 20 minutes. I don't listen to music or try to read. I just rest in the quiet. I have several places I sit, inside and out. The place isn't as important as the practice. The practice of quiet.

Beware, should you try this, it might ruin you for anything less. So let me challenge you. If you only add one thing to your life in this season, give this one, a one day try.

Discovering Is Growing 

Sure I've tried all sorts of things, like rolling out of bed, hitting my knees, and running through morning prayers. Or there's the year I spent, reading my Bible for an hour, and journaling for a second hour. Great insight, but not much of a pattern for a love affair with God.

What works for me is to get some breakfast, and then sit, and soak in the silence. Breakfast may be optional, but it gets me awake.

The Discipline of Silence

I've learned that for me it's imperative that I develop the discipline of silence. We have so many voices and thoughts running around in our heads. The overwhelm causes us to jump into the immediate, so we miss the genius that's within us. Survival mode is addictive, and we're afraid of silence, but we soon learn, it's a place of refuge.

We need to grab hold of our Being before we jump into Becoming. As Henri Nouwen said, "After all, we are human beings, not human doings."

You see it in little kids all the time. Hey, we all did it naturally when we were young. We sat and reflected. And with our limited experience, we discovered and grew.

Well, this is spiritual growth, intentional growth, a deepening of our eternal.

Contrary to what most of us were taught, sitting quietly with no agenda,  doing nothing, is incredibly refreshing. It's how we learn to listen. Without this internal discipline of silence, you might very well miss the "still, small voice of God." Isn't it time to take back your life?

It Affects Everything

Physically our brain is probably moving into Gamma, which is the opposite of going to sleep. It's more of an awaken awareness. It's like being in a state of grateful compassion.

Opening The Well Springs of Life

It's the place where we sit, and walk and talk with God. It's where our sustainable energy level rises, and purpose takes hold. It's where we think great thoughts with God. It's where we worship in the stillness.

Being and accessing our being is crucial to becoming. For what you become colors everything you think and do. It affects generations.

So, this is how I begin my day. It sets my tone and direction. It prepares me to meet the day, and opens up the springs of life.

Keep your heart with all diligence, for from it flows the springs of life. Proverbs 4:23

Give it a one day trial.  Forget the excuses and dive in. This might just be one of the best changes you'll ever make. Let me know how it works out.

So, what's your story? Have you tried this and failed?

What have you discovered that works for you?


Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...