Celebration of Discipline Book Review


Your habits, for good or ill, will carry you much further than you ever intend to go. So, choose wisely young Jedi.
I was encouraged to read Celebration of Discipline by Richard J Foster. Doesn't that sound like a misnomer? Celebrating discipline? Ugh! It's the reason I didn't read it when it first came out.

We were in Judah, a Christian Community at the time. I was fasting two days a week, praying three hours a day, and let me tell you, it was no celebration.

Time's passed, things have changed, and as a friend of mine highly recommended it, I thought I'd give this book a try.

Well, I am shocked. I feel like Simon Cowell hearing Susan Boyle sing for the first time. I didn't expect this.

If I'd had this book 'way back then', it would have saved me years of suffering and heartache. So, I'm telling you now. Get this book!

I'm amazed this isn't required reading for every Believer, in every Church, by every Pastor. It would cause a revolution, upending the whole Church as it were. Business as usual would go up in flames. Believers would move out of their comfort zones, into God, and God into them. Their whole lives would be transformed. When followers become leaders, it's a scary thing. It changes everything.

This book is a plow to fallow ground. It digs, it's uncomfortable, it's unsettling. It engages us. It soft peddles nothing.

So, if you're finally ready to turn around and face the truth, with the grace of God, go get...no, better yet, run and grab this spiritual plow. It will tear up your life. Good beyond your greatest hope. You'll be trading in the good God has for you, for his best.

Richard Foster addresses 12 disciplines: 4 inner, 4 outer, and 4 common.

I envy you now as you apply this book to your life. It will plow up your fallow ground

* Discipline puts backbone in your soul.

* Our disciplines shape the cup of our lives, so that we can better hold the waters of life to pour into a thirsty soul.

* Your habits, for good or ill, will carry you much further than you ever intend to go. So, choose wisely young Jedi.

“If everybody in the country could read—and heed—this book, what a difference it would make to the planet.” Madeleine L'Engle

You can grab it here

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...